ECTACO develops and manufactures Handheld Electronic Dictionaries and Translators and eBook readers for students and teachers. It specializes in language learning products for various languages. It offers portable devices for users to learn a language, such as talking electronic dictionaries, non-talking electronic dictionaries, travel electronic dictionaries, speech-to-speech electronic interpreters, and English dictionary software, including military, law enforcement, and medical models.
Pros and cons: electronic and paper textbooks
1. Compact size and small weight. A student, instead of bending under the weight of the backpack with books, enough to wear a compact device.
2. All of the capabilities of digital gadget: from to search bookmarks and notes (for models with touch screen or keyboard).
3. The screen is not strained his eyes. This is important, but on the other hand, current monitors, too, does not tire. And the stories of eye fatigue when using such devices for a long time must be in the category of "horror stories".
4. Strength in comparison with the laptop.
5. Introduction to digital culture, although there are children and so can cope, but in the "electronic books" less games, then there are distractions.
6. The presence of additional functions, such as video and audio.
7. The guarantee of the absence of the pages in the books "the rock" drawings. Although...if you think about it... here, too, can be the nuances.
8. Opportunity (while, the truth, mostly theoretical) create animated images and textbooks.
9. The ability to unload the premises of libraries, propagating the necessary teaching aids.
10. And in general more flexibility in terms of filling content: changed to the example of the official view of the History of World - is quick and easy to change all of the books ;-), or moved to another class uploaded only what you need.
11. If there are no single standards in the field of use of textbooks, the device can be downloaded several books on the same topic.
12. Opportunity for teachers to monitor the implementation of tasks in a mode online in the classroom and accordingly almost instantly evaluate the level of student's knowledge.
1. This gadget is - theoretically more expensive. Although the calculation for, say, 5 years, maybe the price will be equal and, but the savings - in the future, and the cost - today. Not every family can afford to buy a ustoystvo, but now you can find the device, at a price comparable to the value set of textbooks.
2. Just today a lot more touches, and the company controlling the publishers of textbooks, which are interested in maintaining their copyright, and not to improve the quality of learning. But to paraphrase one statement, one can say the following: "... the paper book will never be electronic, but for the producer of textbooks at some point simply disappear market ..."
3. The mechanical vulnerability. It is difficult to expect from the students care. And if you can pull out of a textbook page, they can still be used, and if broken "electronic book", then all the books available.
4. The need to charge the device. Despite all the achievements of modern tehnolgy, charge them all equally necessary, and then can "passed out" in the middle of the lesson and how to live with more - look for an outlet to escape, but the charging of such a device is not 5 minutes.
5. Need for additional administration. Someone needs to "fill" textbooks or adjust the automatic content management.
6. Additional retraining of teachers (due to low skills and lack of ability to work with such devices) and the development of new teaching methods in schools.
7. Fast. Today bought / equipped - for the following year there was a more powerful model.
If the reader will be some additions as advantages and disadvantages to - write. We are always ready to add to the list.